Monday, February 21, 2011

Cupid, Julius Lester

I was a little apprehensive when I first picked up this novel, however, I am glad that I did.  Even though it would probably not be a book that I read twice, I have to say that the spin on Roman mythology and their Gods and Goddesses was very creative.  In the end, the stories theme is about love.  Cupid, the son of Venus falls in love with a mere mortal, and not just any mortal, but a mortal that is said to be more beautiful than Venus herself.  Venus sends her son Cupid to make Psyche fall in love with an ugly monster, but fate has a different plan and Cupid falls deeply in love with Psyche.  Disobeying his mother Cupid sets into motion a plan to marry the mortal and try to keep her safe from his mother.  However, as most plans do Cupid's backfires, and it becomes a game of cat and mouse between Venus and Psyche.  Without giving to much away about the end of the story, this is the beginning of when love and soul come together to create pleasure in one's life.  This story was very creatively put together, and I really liked the ending, but for a middle school audience which this book geared toward, I thought it was kind slow getting started.  Most kids that I teach have to be hooked on a book within the first ten pages, if not fewer of the book to be interested.  However, once the story goes on, the plot thickens and it does move quicker.

Some other books by this author are:

What A Truly Cool World
To Be A Slave
Do Lord Remember
Long Journey Home
The Hungry Ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment