Monday, February 7, 2011

The Hello, Goodbye WIndow, by Norton Justerand Chris Raschka Caldecott Winner #5

This book had me in tears!  The story is beautiful and the illustrations are colorful and full of life!  The main character is discussing his Nanna and Poppy's house, and how he feels being in an environment that he feels loved and comfortable in.  Even though I feel like most kids can relate to the story because of their connection with a loved one, however, my connection with this story runs very deep.  Growing up and still til this day, I call my grandparents Nana and Poppy.  They are the two of the greatest people that I know, and their love story has lasted over fifty years.  That is until unfortunately, we lost my Poppy to cancer six years ago.  Even though he has passed, there is not a day that I don't think about him once or twice, or remember to look to the heavens every October 16th on his birthday, and I will tell my unborn baby girl about this extraordianry man who help to shape the person that I am today.  I feel that being a teacher, I have the potential to make an impact on a person as well, I just hope I rise to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment