Monday, February 7, 2011

One Fine Day by Nonny Hogrogian, Caldecott Winner #3

I had heard this story before, however, I was not aware that it was from this book.  I do like the overall moral message  of the story, but I have to say at the beginning of the book, I was shocked that the old woman cut off his tail!  I thought for a children's story that that detail was kind of harsh, but then again that could be my love for animals kicking in.  I hate the thought of an animal being harmed, and I guess I am even more sensitive today because as I read this book, I am reminded that my cat is at the vet this very morning, a place that she hates!  I guess I should have chosen a different book to read today.  The illustrations in this book are very detailed and colorful.  I really liked the color of the illustrations, they really popped from the stage, making the story come to life.  I can see why this particular book was an award winner.  I learned from this book that children can learn life lessons in many different ways.  As a matter of fact, I think that learning from books, movies and television are an amazing way to teach lessons, because these are the medias that children now days connect to.

No comments:

Post a Comment