Monday, February 7, 2011

The Little House, by Virginia Lee Burton Caldecott Winner #4

I have to say that this has been my favorite book thus far.  I loved everything about it!  The illustrations were very detailed and colorful, and represented the story visually.  However, my favorite part of about this book is the actual plot.  The story is about having something great, yet not being satisfied.  I loved the journey that the house made from the beautiful countryside to the crowded city, and the life lesson that the house learned along the way.  By the end of the story the house ends up back in the country, and has never been happier because it realized that it already had everything it needed.  I think this story teaches children to be grateful for what you are given in life, and only desire things in moderation because not everything is as good as it seems.  I love this lesson because I really feel like everything young child needs to learn this lesson.  I feel like so many of the kids I teach are handed everything they have ever wanted, and therefore are missing the importance of working hard.  I think I am going to use this book when I review plot and theme with my students at the end of the year for their finals.  Hopefully not only will they get the content information, but learn the lesson as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment