Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kitten's First Full Moon By: Kevin Henkes

     I really liked this book for the most part.  However, for being a Caldecott Award Winner in 2005, I was surprised at how simple the illustrations were.  They were all in black and white, and scenes lacked detail. On the other hand, the story was a very sweet, easy to understand, and an appropriate moral for younger readers. 
     The reason I picked out this book was because I am a huge animal lover, and I especially fond of cats.  I have three cats at home that are like my babies, and my life is enriched because of them.  This story very much reminded me of my cat Trooper.  He is a three-year-old tomcat, and he is very impatient and curious.  If someone in the house is making any type of food with milk or meat involved, he is on the counter ready to pounce.  He has once taken an entire piece of chicken and ran with it! He remind me of the kitten in the book because much like the kitten he lacks patience, and he would just wait, his food would be provided for him!
     I think this book compares to many books that are considered "children's literature" because most of these types of books have a simple story, good moral message, teaches a life lesson, and has illustrations that connect to children.
     Since I teach middle school, it has been a long time since I have read children's literature, but I find them refreshing.  Most of the stories that I have read lately deal with harsh, dangerous, and depressing life issues about growing up.  Reading children's literature has reminded me how simple life could be, and how wonderful being an open minded kid can be as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment