Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Number the Stars, by Lois Lowry Newbery Award Winner #1

     I have to say that this book is one of my favorite books of all time.  I read it as a child in the fourth grade, however, I re-read it a couple weeks ago because I will be using it as a resource when I teach my Holocaust unit beginning next week.  Looking back to the fourth grade, I am sure I was taught many things, but the one thing that I remember the most is reading this book, and the impact that it made on me.  Annemarie's character is very interesting and complex for a 12-year-old  little girl, and her story is so interesting to me.  I have always loved learning about the artocities of the Holocaust, but to me, her story really brings it to life for younger children without so much gore.  I was very impressed with the realism Lois Lowry used, along with the ingredients of a really interesting story that leaves you with a page turner at the end of every chapter.  I think using that as a strategy is brilliant because some younger children need that extra excitement to finish a book. What reached me in this book  was the power of friendship.  I love that Annemarie has the courage to risk everything for Ellen and her family.  I can relate to Annemarie in this way because I would do anything for my best friend, because at the end of the day she is family.  The main theme that sticks out to me is friendship.  Friendship is the driving force for all of what Annemarie and her family risks their lives.  They believe what they are doing is right, and the love for their friends and their safety is worth fighting for!  I feel like that is something worth teaching kids of today's youth.  Once again, I love this book and would recommend it anyone who loves a good story.  Lois Lowry brings alive one of the most well-known events of history to life for young readers.  She does it in such an entertaining way that anyone will love this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment